Understanding the Benefits of using CBD oil for Dogs, Cats and other Pets
Maybe you've tried CBD and hemp oil products yourself or you've heard another pet owner talking about it, and you're curious if it can offer the same health benefits to your furry friend. In fact, cannabinoids found in the hemp plant can help dogs and other animals to manage symptoms associated with various conditions and environmental factors.
If your dog
- Gets anxious during a car ride
- Experiencing chronic pain
- Showing symptoms of arthritis
- Going through cancer treatment,
The oil is able to help in these scenarios and reducing it. Pet owners have found organic CBD products to be easy to administer and quick to provide relief to their dogs. To understand a little more about health benefits CBD oil for pets, read on.
Benefits of CBD for Pets include
- Its ability to relieve pain
- Separation anxiety
- Reduce aggressive tendencies in some dogs.
- It has also been shown to possess anti-inflammatory properties and help with overall mood balance and appetite.
Many owners find health benefits of CBD oil for dogs. The oil can be mixed in with your dog's food from a dropper or applied topically onto itchy or irritated skin.
The Research behind the Use of CBD Oil for Dogs
So far, the research concerning the use of CBD oil for pets has looked at its usefulness as an alternative treatment for a variety of disorders ranging from anxiety, to cancer and arthritis. For instance, a 2018 study published by Frontiers of Veterinary Science found CBD oil to provide a significant decrease in pain symptoms. One worthwhile piece of evidence provided by this study is the fact that the use of cannabidiol oil did not result in negative side effects in the dog, making it a potentially safe alternative treatment for canines.
Outside of the safety of CBD oil for dogs, we also know that it has been deemed an effective method for reducing anxiety. In a 2015 literature review published in Neurotherapeutics, we see that cannabidiol has been known to reduce anxiety in a variety of anxiety disorders, including obsessive-compulsive disorder, generalized anxiety disorder, and even symptoms of post-traumatic stress disorder as detailed by the American Animal Hospital Association.
A study conducted by Cornell's College of Veterinary Medicine showed that treatment with CBD oil resulted in decreased pain for dogs with arthritis.
And in a survey collected by the American Holistic Veterinary Medical
Association, data from over 600 pet owners found that CBD use in animals also seems to yield positive results.
Is CBD the Right Choice for Your Dog?
- If you're unsure of how effective hemp dog treats will be in relieving your pet's symptoms, you may want to consult a vet.
- It's also important to talk to a medical professional about any existing medications your dog may be taking and how they'll interact with CBD oil (if at all).
- It has minimal side effects, but it still helps to be cautious with dosage and the concentration of the product.
- It's also a good idea to seek out reputable brands who care about their customers and put effort into taking the proper safety precautions. If you find a brand you trust, then you can feel assured that the contents and recommended dosage listed are correct.
This Article is Medically Reviewed by Dr. Parul (BAMS)
About Dr. Parul
She has knowledge of Ayurveda and 15 years of experience practicing as a general physician, She love to interact with patients, treating their various health issues, counseling them, and advising them to the best of her ability.
She has a special interest in treating pain-related issues, diabetics, and mental health-related disorders.
She is currently working with Qurist a trusted medical cannabis company.