Nausea is a common symptom that can be caused by a variety of medical conditions or treatments. While there are medications available to alleviate the effects of nausea, some people prefer CBD as a natural alternative.
CBD (cannabidiol) is a compound found in the cannabis plant that has been gaining popularity for its potential therapeutic benefits for a long time now
CBD for Nausea and Vomiting
The endocannabinoid system (ECS) is a system of the mammalian body that takes charge of homeostasis (balance) via receptors and endocannabinoids. One specific function of the ECS is to manage a part of the medulla oblongata that's responsible for triggering nausea and vomiting reflexes, and research shows that blocking the ECS can induce nausea. In contrast, enhancing the ECS can reduce the nauseous effect.
When one ingests cannabinoids such as CBD, it interacts with, and boosts, the ECS. Some studies suggest that it can reduce the nauseous effects since it is linked to the interaction of cannabinoids with the serotonin receptors. Studies have also shown that CBD and THC together can provide relief from nausea in patients taking chemotherapy.
How Quickly Does CBD Oil Help With Nausea?
If CBD oil is taken sublingually, it may start showing results within as little as 15 minutes.
While for other CBD oil-infused products like CBD gummies, the effect will take longer, possibly around 60-90 minutes, as the edible first passes through the digestive system before CBD is absorbed into the bloodstream.
CBD oil should not be taken in large doses especially when you are starting fresh with your CBD regime as that may end up causing side effects such as dizziness and fatigue. Initially, start with a smaller dose and build up gradually until you find the ideal dose for you- according to your body’s tolerance level.
Based on research and testing, it has been found that full-spectrum and broad-spectrum CBD products may be more effective in reducing the effect of nausea due to the presence of additional natural plant compounds, which, when taken together may enhance the product’s efficacy. This is called the ‘entourage effect’
Please Note: In terms of types of CBD products, you need to choose the most suitable product for you. If you are vomiting, avoid CBD edibles. Instead, opt for sublingual CBD drops for nausea.
Nausea Medications with CBD
Those experiencing nausea may find relief with the following CBD products:
CBD Oil by Qurist
- This natural CBD oil offers all the benefits of the hemp plant and its range of cannabinoids without any effects of THC.
- It is unflavoured, natural ayurvedic, preservative-free, just pure THC-free cannabinoid extract & coconut MCT oil.
- It comes in three variations: mild, medium and strong.
- The CBD content as per each variant is as follows: Mild - 450mg CBD, Medium - 900mg CBD & Strong - 1800mg CBD
CBD+THC Oil by Qurist
- This potent full-spectrum extract CBD THC oil offers all the combined benefits of the cannabis plant.
- It is preservative-free, just pure cannabinoid extract & coconut MCT oil.
- The CBD and THC content as per each variant is as follows: Mild - 350mg, CBD + 150mg THC, Medium - 700mg CBD + 300mg THC & Strong - 1400mg CBD + 600mg THC
Sleepeasy Capsules by Qurist
- Their in-house formulated cannabis-based CBD tablets for sleep, have a perfect balance of CBD and THC that help you fall asleep faster & deeper, so you wake up refreshed & rejuvenated the next day.
- Ingredients: 140mg Cannabis Extract and 100mg Chamomile Extract. All Natural, preservative-free, no drug interactions.
- Each capsule contains 35mg CBD + 15mg THC + Chamomile
- Note: These pills are very potent and suitable only for those with severe conditions. These pills come in 2 variants: Standard - 10 Pills Mini - 2 Pills
Painaway Capsules by Qurist
Our in-house formulated cannabis-based CBD capsules for pain relief, have a perfect balance of CBD and THC that offer long-lasting, targeted pain relief for a variety of conditions.
- It contains all Natural, preservative-free, and no drug interactions.
- Each capsule contains 25mg CBD + 25mg THC.
- It comes in two variants: Standard (10 Pills) and Mini (2 Pills) Ingredients: 250mg Cannabis Extract.
Periodaid Capsules by Qurist
- In-house formulated cannabis-based period pain relief pills Periodaid has the perfect balance of CBD and THC that offers long-lasting pain relief and facilitates a hormonal balance to tackle all 7 PMS symptoms.
- It contains all Natural, preservative-free, no drug interactions. Each capsule contains 20mg CBD + 20mg THC + Ginger.
- These come in two variants: Standard (10 Pills) Mini (2 Pills)
- Ingredients: 200mg Cannabis Extract and 100mg Ginger Extract.
Benefits and Disadvantages of Consuming CBD for Nausea
The potential benefits of using CBD for nausea include:
- CBD is derived from plants and is hence considered a natural alternative to traditional medications used for dealing with nausea.
- CBD may have fewer side effects compared to several strong medications although individual responses may vary.
- CBD is known to have anti-inflammatory properties, which may help reduce inflammation that can cause nausea.
- CBD interacts with the endocannabinoid system and regulates various physiological functions, thereby addressing the underlying causes of nausea.
Disadvantages of using CBD for nausea include:
- The industry dealing in CBD is not well-regulated, and variations may be found in the quality and potency of CBD products available in the market
- Although there is promising research, more studies are needed to fully understand the effectiveness of CBD for the treatment of different causes of nausea.
- CBD may not work the same way for everyone, and individual responses to its intake may vary depending on several factors like the dosage, form of CBD, etc.
How to Choose a Suitable CBD Product for Nausea?You should keep in mind several factors while choosing the most suitable type of CBD product for your purpose:
- Always refer to the quality of the CBD products, including the sourcing of hemp, extraction methods, and lab testing for purity and potency.
- Don’t forget to check the customer reviews and feedback. In this way, you can ensure that the products have been well-received and that they are effective in relieving nausea.
- Check whether the CBD products are specifically formulated for treating nausea. Also, check if the product contains terpenes or other natural ingredients known to have anti-nausea properties.
- You can also check the reputation and track record of the brands, including their commitment to transparency, customer support, and adherence to guidelines and industry best practices.
Please Note: As for now, there is limited research data that supports the use of CBD for nausea. It is always important to consult your doctor for an individualized plan of treatment.